2nd Battalion, 8th Marines
2nd Battalion, 8th Marines
“The mission of the Marine Corps rifle squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver and/ or repel enemy assault by fire and close combat.”
World War II
2nd Battalion, 8th Marines was activated on 1 April 1940 in San Diego as the 2nd Battalion 8th Marine Regiment and assigned to the 2nd Marine Brigade. The 2nd Marine Brigade was re-designated 1 February 1941 as 2nd Marine Division.
During World War II, the battalion participated in the Battle of Guadalcanal, Battle of Tarawa, Battle of Saipan, Battle of Tinian and the Battle of Okinawa. Following the surrender of Japan, the battalion deployed to Nagasaki, Japan in September 1945 as part of the occupation.
They remained in Japan in this capacity until they redeployed back to Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina in June 1946. The battalion was deactivated on 13 November 1947 as part of the post-war drawdown of forces.
The battalion was reactivated on 1 December 1950 at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and assigned to 2nd Marine Division. From July to September 1958 they took part in the United States intervention in during the Lebanon crisis. This was followed by a deployment to Guantanamo Bay Naval Base as part of the Cuban Missile Crisis from October to December 1962.
• Relocated in June 1968 to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
• Relocated in August 1973 to Camp Lejeune, NC.
• Participated as part of Multi-Nation Peace Keeping Force in Lebanon August – • • September 1982, and February- October 1984
• Participated in Operation Urgent Fury in Grenada October – November 1983.
• Participated in Operation Provide Comfort Iraq April – July 1991.
• Elements participated in Operation Support Democracy Cuba October – November 1993.
• Participated in support of Operation Joint Endeavor Adriatic Sea October 1996.
• Elements participated in security operations Haiti and Panama November 1997 – February 1998 and January – August 1999.
• 2 Bat 8th Marines Echo Company was the Unit in Haiti in 93
Global War on Terror
• Marines in Afghanistan, July 2009
• Operation Iraqi Freedom – Iraq, March – May 2003.
• Operation Enduring Freedom – Afghanistan November 2003 to May 2004.
• 26th MEU – Iraq, March 2005 – September 2005.
• Operation Iraqi Freedom – Iraq, July 2006 – February 2007.
• Operation Iraqi Freedom – Iraq, October 2007 – May 2008.
• Operation Enduring Freedom – Afghanistan, May 2009 – November 2009.
• Operation Enduring Freedom – Afghanistan, January 2011 – August 2011.
• Operation Enduring Freedom – Afghanistan, March 2013-October 2013
The Marine operation in Helmand, AFG, during the Filming of The Hornet’s Nest is the largest Marine Operation since the Vietnam War.
This Unit is also the subject of a number of Films and Television due to it’s storied history. To Hell and Back, Flags of our Fathers, Sands of Iwo Jima, and The Pacific. “America’s Battalion”
Motto “Not for self, but for country” (“Non Sibi Sed Patriae”).
Nickname: “America’s Battalion”